During the last two weeks during our days off work, we’ve FINALLY completed many of our planned projects. I know — we live in a very small travel trailer, so how much can there be to do? Since this is our home (we’re not just camping now), we want to have as many of the conveniences as in a normal house, so here are our most recent modifications. These pictures are linked to the Picasa album containing a few more photos of some mods.
Closet. We’ve been
debating designing closet shelves & organization since last winter, & finally made a decision. Since the space under the closet door is a dead zone, Jeff built a wooden frame to move the closet rod to the lower half of the closet since the bottom of clothes don’t need to be seen or accessed. Since weight is always an issue, I decided to just MAKE shelves — lightweight and adjustable by macraméing a couple of shelves to hang above the clothes rod on a plethora of curtain hooks around the carpeted wall. I used some nylon string I had a big roll of, measured 3 times the initial front span (24” x 3) three times to create the 6-string front braid. Every inch or so as I braided the three pairs of string, I inserted a loop that would become part of the cargo net style shelf reaching to the back of the closet. Once the braid reached from side to side (hanging on curtain hooks), I tied double knots from one string of adjacent pairs, creating a diamond pattern to the depth of the closet.The knots are hung over the curtain hooks around the edge. It may all fall down when we hit the road, but for now at least, it’s working great for having clothing at eye level!
The cable TV cord goes directly to an A-B splitter, and the satellite cord goes to the DVR, then to the splitter. Jeff installed a 2nd external cable jack next to the original jack on the back left upper corner of the Casita.
Now we can switch between sources easily whenever needed. We also cut a hole thru the side of the microwave cabinet to plug in the power strip cord so we don’t have cords strung along all over.
Removed MDF chases: In the process of removing all the MDF chases covering the wiring & plumbing under the back of the trailer, galley, & closet floor, I looked in &re-organized ALL storage compartments & gained some extra precious square inches of space. I put insoltube over the now exposed tubes & wiring for protection, except this one cut out piece of MDF now just rests under the outside shower pipes under the galley. Our pots & pans live in this space, so it holds the board in place. Note the cut-off valves Jeff had already installed.
We also wrapped insultube around the water hose with a heat tape since it’s below freezing now during the nights.
We have a few more projects which I’ll report on when we get them completed. I’ll try not to take so long between posts.